Sunday 28 June 2009

The Eye

I saw clear the snake’s eye
peeking through the empty hole
at that African playground.

I saw it so clear that I kept its memory,
unlike the faint remembrance
of fright, sticks and shouts

and the dark, thin body hanging loose.

It was dead poisonous, they said,
It could have killed us, children,
from a brisk bite, a lightning,

and it stared at me, unblinking,
the passionless stare I wouldn’t evade.
Was it meant for me,

the eye of evil that constricts my dreams?

See Note

2 comments:

  1. Armando

    You paint an interesting picture from this incident of primeval fear, and the vitality of eye contact. Not sure what you intend with your last line though. What dreams (rather vague)? How constricted? Perhaps you're leaving that to your reader's imagination, which is fine, but for myself it's too oblque - I need more clues. (That said, I also like to leave the reader with work to do / space for their own interpretation.)

    Have recently established a blog site of my own, and put a link to yours there - hope that's OK.

    http://markbcassidy.blogspot.com/

    Still plenty more to upload, but after the initial splurge I intend to proceed at a slower pace. Would be interested in any observations you care to make. Off now to find my "snake" poem, which I'll post some when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.

    I won't reply at once to the questions you ask, though. In fact they make me think on a separate note that I'll post as soon as I get it ready.

    ReplyDelete